Thursday, April 26, 2007

don't try this at home...

In following carrot-woman's lead, "for everyone else's entertainment", today an egg exploded in my face and my lip hurts.

It went something like this:

I was, in "hobbit"-style, scrounging for food for lunch and had a couple of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge in my office. I was really excited about adding these to my hodge-podge lunch, until I opened the container containing (that's why they call it a container) my eggs in it, pulled one out, and remembered that everything in that tiny little contraption of a cooling device (a.k.a. piece o' crap fridge) partially freezes.

I was very disappointed because I didn't want to wait for the eggs to thaw, and I didn't want to eat half-frozen hard-boiled eggs.

I thought to myself, I wonder if they will thaw if I put them in the microwave for 30 seconds? And then I thought, and I wonder if egg shells will burn in the microwave?

Well, only one way to find out... I decided that the microwave would surely thaw my eggs, and if I smelled or saw any signs of burning, I would quickly remove the eggs. One person in the lounge where I went to microwave them mentioned that eggs can explode if you microwave them, but I said mine were hard-boiled, so that shouldn't happened. She agreed, no, that shouldn't happen.

Now before you jump ahead and think that you know the ending, that really one of the eggs was not hard-boiled because I had mixed it up with a raw one and that it exploded in my face when I opened the microwave, no, no, no, that is NOT what happened. The eggs were indeed both hard-boiled.

So, I put them in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, removed them, and returned to my office to enjoy them with some salt. The egg shells didn't burn either.

I sat down at my desk and peeled the egg shell off the first one I picked up. The shell was a little hot, but the egg itself seemed okay. After peeling the shell, I put a little salt on it, put it up to my mouth, started to take a bite, teeth biting down, and *POP*!!! It exploded in my face!!!

My upper lip suddenly burnt terribly and started to feel numb. I promptly looked down at what I thought was a non-explosive and edible device called an egg, something I was apparently very wrong about, and saw the remnants of the bottom half of the white of the egg, encapsulating bits of yellowish-grayish-brownish yolk. Other bits of that yolk were sparsely scattered in my lap, on my shirt, and on my desk and the many things that cover it.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed about this bit of my lunch. While I did not eat the other egg as I had lost my appetite for egg by this point, I did de-shell it and cut it open with a knife (with my face partially turned and as far away from it as possible), and it was completely harmless. I tossed it into the garbage.

The End.

1 comment:

Sheyl said...

poor wacked, I hope your lip is ok. We really need to stop it with these house trends of distruction. No more! only positive trends from now on. If it'll help there's graham canyon in the freezer.